Fix Bad Electrical Wiring prevent disasters!

            First of all happy new year to everyone! What have you planned as resolutions aren`t be expected upto its mark.  So why don`t you fix your bad electrical wiring in your household? Just kidding make yourself a aim and go for it in this new year. Once again wish you all a happy productive year ahead!
                       
             Is your electrical wiring up to code? If you know your wiring is faulty, old or insufficient to handle your electrical needs, the new year is a great time to commit to a wiring inspection. Depending on the issues uncovered in an inspection, you may be able to remedy problems yourself with common fixes. Other times, problems are severe enough that you should seriously consider replacing the wiring in your home. In this case, ignoring serious problems simply isn’t worth the risk!

Signs You Need an Electrical Wiring Inspection:

If you notice your electrical system behaving oddly or failing to meet your power needs, schedule an inspection with a qualified electrician. Examples of things to watch out for include:


  • Tripped circuit breakers and blown fuses
  • Flickering lights in windy weather or when using a high-powered appliance
  • Excessive use of power strips and extension cords to make up for a lack of outlets
  • Visible rodent damage
  • Scorch marks or a burning smell coming from an outlet
  • Popping, buzzing or crackling electrical system

How to Deal With Common Electrical Issues

            Once you have an inspection, you may be able to remedy some problems without replacing your wiring. Use easy fixes for common electrical issues as you deem necessary:


  • Missing GFCIs: Ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs) are safety measures used to reduce the risk of electrocution if a wire comes in contact with water. GFCIs are special receptacles you can install without replacing the wiring. Each outlet located in the bathroom, kitchen, garage or outdoor area should be fitted with a GFCI.
  • Missing AFCIs: Arc-fault circuit interrupters (AFCIs) prevent electrocution caused by arcing. This can occur if a rodent chews on a wire, you accidentally drive a nail through a wire or an appliance overheats at the outlet. AFCIs detect arcing and shut off the outlet before any harm is done. An electrician can install these safety devices at the main service panel without replacing your wiring.
  • Non-childproofed outlets: If you have children, consider replacing standard outlets with a childproof version that requires equal pressure from all prongs to stimulate electricity flow. These receptacles cost pennies more and make your home much safer for children.

Severe Issues to Look Out For:

           Some wiring issues are small enough that they don’t create a serious hazard. Others warrant immediate wiring replacement if you run across them. These issues include:


  • Outdated wiring: Pre-1930s homes were built with knob and tube wiring. The 40s and 50s were a time of non-metallic wiring. Even as recently as the 60s and 70s, aluminum wiring was used in homes across the US. Discovering any of these known fire hazards warrants a wiring replacement.
  • Ungrounded outlets: You know an outlet is ungrounded if it has only two openings instead of three. Many high-powered appliances come with a third prong, which you will be unable to use in an ungrounded outlet.
  • Inadequate power: Constantly tripping breakers could be a sign that your home doesn’t have enough power. If your home is only powered by 60 amps, you may need to upgrade to 100 or 200 amps to support the higher electrical needs of most homes today.
ENSURE SAFETY:
           Safety should be the primary concern of anyone working with electricity. Although most household electrical repairs are simple and straightforward, always use caution and good judgment when working with electrical wiring or devices. Common sense can prevent accidents. 
           The basic rule of electrical safety is: 
  • Always turn off power to the area or device you are working on. At the main service panel, remove the fuse or shut off the circuit breaker that controls the circuit you are servicing.
  •  Then check to make sure the power is off by testing for power with a voltage tester. 
Tip: Test a live circuit with the voltage tester to verify that it is working before you rely on it. Restore power only when the repair or replacement project is complete. 
MAJOR TIPS:
  • Shut power OFF at the main service panel or the main fuse box before beginning any work.
  • Create a circuit index and affix it to the inside of the door to your main service panel. Update it as needed.
  • Confirm power is OFF by testing at the outlet, switch, or fixture with a voltage tester.
  • Use only UL-approved electrical parts or devices. These devices have been tested for safety by Underwriters Laboratories.
  • Wear rubber-soled shoes while working on electrical projects. On damp floors, stand on a rubber mat or dry wooden boards.
  • Use fiberglass or wood ladders when making routine household repairs near the service mast.
  • Breakers and fuses must be compatible with the panel manufacturer and match the circuit capacity.
  • Extension cords are for temporary use only. Cords must be rated (i.e should be tested and marked as safe to use for permanent wiring) for the intended usage.
  • Never alter the design or the structure of the plug using sharpner to fit a socket. If possible,  install a new grounded receptacle.
  • Do not penetrate walls or ceilings without first shutting off electrical power to the circuits that may be hidden.(for eg: if a wire goes inside a wall without shutting the main off will be disastrous when you cut those! so be cautious and be aware of the electrical housing diagram first).
 IF YOU LIKED THE CONTENT PLEASE LEAVE A UPVOTE AND IN CASE OF ANY DOUBT PLEASE COMMENT BELOW WE WILL REPLY TO IT .PLEASE FOLLOW OUR GOOGLE PROFILE AND BLOG FOR FUTURE UPDATES! HAVE A NICE DAY!
Previous
Next Post »

1 comments:

Click here for comments
Neville
admin
4 April 2017 at 20:49 ×

I lived in an apartment where the landlord didn't update the wiring. I fell asleep with a small fan running, but awoke to the smell of smoke. I saw sparks coming from the fan outlet and burn marks were around the cover. I unplugged it, but it took nearly burning the building down to get him to replace the wiring.

Congrats bro Neville you got PERTAMAX...! hehehehe...
Reply
avatar